Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Crayfish and avocado salad with chilled Gazpacho

So, fancy towers of food in the middle of a plate is not really my thing, but James Martin made a fantastic looking Chilled melon soup with langoustines and mint on BBC’s Saturday Kitchen this week. I must say I was inspired. Today it was 36 degrees, and I am really, really hot. A cold soup could really hit the spot.


Now on the way to the local supermarket, I had ‘cold soup with sea food’ in mind, but not remembering what James had made on Saturday I bought the following:

  • 1 packet of pre-made Gazpacho soup
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 1 packet of cooked and peeled crayfish tails
  • 1 long red pepper
Supplementing this with some olive oil, sour cream, salt and pepper, fresh basil, chives, a chili, a lime, and the stainless steel ring I bought on the market, I came up with one of the best starters that have been served from my kitchen.

I grilled the pepper until it was soft, and slightly blackened on the skin side and cut out two circles of its red flesh. Mixing half an avocado with some fresh basil, seasoning, chives, olive oil, chives, some lime juice, and a piece of chili produced a zesty guacamole type sauce/mush.


Layers of guacamole, grilled pepper and crayfish were placed in the ring to make a round tower and refrigerated. Pouring the chilled Gazpacho around the tower, removing the ring, and placing a good dollop of sour cream on the top finished the dish

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rather bold looking this one - strikes me that the colours would make a good christmas meal! The photo wouldn't look out of place on a McDonalds menu - but they probably couldnt afford the luxury of such a healthy option. If i were richer i would definitely try it!

July 18, 2006 11:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris!

Great looking fare! Glad to see you're having fun with food. Looks fine and tasty. I am currently learning more about tea.

Carla (from WV)

July 21, 2006 5:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

child gazpacho??? Poor Gareth....

July 22, 2006 3:50 pm  
Blogger Chris Summers said...

Hi Carla,

Thank for the heads up on the spelling.

On the plus side, I now have a BBQ big enough to cook a small child. Fancy some child ribs?

July 22, 2006 11:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I love baby back ribs!

July 27, 2006 6:57 pm  
Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said...

Hi Chris, Thanks for the entry I must say it looks delish. I am also quite excited as you are the only guy in our mingle ;-)) woohoo!

Would you kindly link back to the MM - Beat the Heat post so that people can also see what this is and eventually take part if they want?

August 02, 2006 8:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home